Prep 8 mins
Cook 0 mins
Another great one from Chef Anne Burrell from Food Network.com.
Make and share this Anne Burrell's Asparagus, Pecorino, and Red Onion Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1 bunch pencil asparagus, tough bottom stems removed
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup coarsely grated aged pecorino cheese
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- Cut the asparagus, including the tips into very thin slices, crosswise and place in a medium bowl. Add the red onion and pecorino and toss to combine. Dress with the vinegar, olive oil and salt and toss again. This salad should be fairly heavily dressed. The vinegar will sort of "cook" or tenderize the asparagus.
- It is best to do this about an hour or so in advance to let the flavors "marry".
I have made this salad twice now. I find that 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar is sufficient. Also, I use a good quality cheese (not the parm in a can). It is a refreshing change of pace - crunchy, zippy, salty. The uncooked asparagus is a fabulous surprise. It looks like peas, but is a whole lot crunchier! Love it!