This is a salad I make frequently during the summer months with freshly picked green beans. It is simple to prepare and delicious. I use a zip-lock bag when making this salad, it makes bringing the salad for a picnic easy and clean up a snap. :)
For Green Bean and Red Onion Salad
- 1 lb fresh green beans
- 1 red onion, halved & sliced thin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar (good quality)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (good quality)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large ziploc bag
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
For Multigrain Croutons
- 1 loaf multigrain French bread, rustically cut into 1 inch pieces
- olive oil
- garlic powder, to taste
- dried Italian herb seasoning, to taste
- salt, to taste
- For Green Bean & Red Onion Salad:.
- Cook green beans until just tender crisp, drain and immediately set in an ice bath (or cold water) to stop the cooking process.
- Once green beans have cooled to (at least) room temperature and drain.
- In a large zip-lock bag add the fresh green beads, sliced red onion, minced garlic, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Gently fumble zip-lock bag until all ingredients are well mixed; set in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- For Multigrain Croutons:.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Spray a large cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread out multi-grain french loaf pieces evenly over the cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with garlic powder, dried Italian herbs and salt - enough to suit your taste; give a gentle stir.
- Bake multi-grain croutons roughly 15 to 18 minutes or until croutons are lightly brown and dry (yet still ever so slightly chewy), gently mixing once halfway during baking.
- Assemble green bean & red onion salad on a serving plate.
- Top with multi-grain croutons and sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.