1/4 Photos of Beef and Mushrooms in Red Wine Sauce
3 hrs 25 mins
The Flying Chef's Note:
This is a great hearty, warming stew ideal for the coming winter months. When the weather starts to get cold I love nothing more than stews and casseroles whether beef, chicken or fish they make great comfort food. I served mine with broccoli florets as we are trying to eat lower carb in the evening.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 slices bacon, rashers chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 kg beef gravy, diced into 2cm pieces
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef stock granules
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 250 g shallots, peeled
- 400 g mushrooms, chopped
- 4 tablespoons bisto, gravy granules
- 20 g parsley, finely chopped
- 600 g broccoli, cut into florets
- 1Cook bacon in a large heavy based saucepan, stirring, until browned, drain on absorbent paper.
- 2Add oil to a large fry pan, add beef in batches, cooking until browned all over, add beef to saucepan, wipe fry pan clean for later use.
- 3Return bacon to saucepan along with wine, paste, water, stock, garlic and thyme sprigs to saucepan, bring to the boil, reduce heat, simmer covered for about 21/2-3 hours or until beef is tender.
- 4Meanwhile, melt butter in the fry pan add shallots, cook until browned and starting to soften, add mushrooms, cook, stirring about 7-8 minutes until mushrooms are soft, remove from heat.
- 5Add gravy granules to beef mixture stir until sauce thickens slightly (I use the gravy granules to thicken and to add extra beefy flavour, can thicken with cornflour, but may want to adjust stock amount.).
- 6Stir in parsley and add shallot mushroom mix to the stew, leave on a low heat.
- 7Meanwhile boil, steam or microwave broccoli until just tender.
- 8Serve stew accompanied with broccoli.
- 9Carb Tip: goes well with creamy polenta or mashed potato.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Mushrooms in Red Wine Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (752 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 620.4
- Calories from Fat 347
- Total Fat 38.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 53.6 mg
- Sodium 2024.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 24.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef stock granules