Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is not authentic, I know, but it's so good! I guess you could call it a Wisconsin version of cajun.
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage, regular seasoning
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried red beans, soaked and cooked till soft or 2 (15 ounce) cans red beans, drained
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- hot sauce, to taste
- Brown the sausage and onion. Drain. Put back over medium heat and add the peppers, garlic,beans, tomato, cajun seasoning, oregano, thyme and water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring as needed. Add the wine and hot sauce and cook 1 minute more. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over rice and garnish with green onions.