For roasting peppers, you can follow the oven method (see Peasant'sHearth's Roasted Red Bell and Banana Peppers) or stovetop method (see Julesong's Roasted Peppers: How to Roast a Pepper on a Gas Range) or substitute commercial bottled roasted peppers (though some of the flavor is lost with the bottled kind). For a lighter version, use half-and-half. Preparation time does NOT include the time for roasting the peppers.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan and saute onion and rosemary 5 min over low heat, stirring often.
- Add peppers and stock, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste; place in food processor or blender; puree.
- Stir in 1/4 cup cream and paprika, salt and pepper.
- Ladle into 4 soup bowls and swirl 1 Tbs of cream onto the surface of each; sprinkle cream lightly with paprika for a speckled effect.