Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a delicious and simple recipe. The potatoes require 15 minutes pre-cooking on your cook top and only take 2-3 hours in your crock pot. I found this on AllRecipes.
- 5 lbs red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (to taste)
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook the potatoes, garlic, and bouillon until potatoes are tender but firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, reserving water.
- In a bowl, mash potatoes with sour cream and cream cheese, adding reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.
- Transfer the potato mixture to a slow cooker, cover, and cook on Low for 2 to 3 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.
These were great! I prepared steps 1 & 2 the night before and then turned the crock pot on the next afternoon for a couple of hours before dinner. Since they sat over night the flavors really set in and they were AWESOME! My modifications: I doubled the garlic (used half in the boiling process and added the second half during mashing) and eliminated the bouillon to dodge the sodium... I will definitely keep this as my standard mashed potato recipe for future meals.
These potatoes are fantastic. I make them every Thanksgiving and Christmas and get rave reviews.
I made these in the crockpot last week. I'd never used red potatoes for mashed before, nor had I<br/>mashed potatoes with skins on. I followed the recipe exactly and they were a hit with all of us. The next day I had enough left to bring to room temperature, flatten in a little butter in a pan, brown both sides, and they made a great potato pancake.