Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
this is modified from "the gourmet slow cooker" by Lynn Alley. Fabulous recipe and wanted to share because I know how hard it is to find good slow cooker recipes.
- 2 cups dried red beans
- 7 cups water
- 2 slices bacon, chopped or 1 -2 smoked pork chops
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped 2 bay leaves
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 oregano sprigs
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 lb andouille sausage
- 6 cups cooked white rice
- Rinse and sort through beans. Soak overnight in water to cover. Put beans in crock pot then cover with water.
- Add all remaining ingredients (except rice) to slow cooker and cook 6-8 hours until beans are very tender and pork chop is falling apart.
- Remove and discard the pork chop bone and break up any large chunks of meat (if not using bacon). Remove and discard bay leaves, oregano and thyme.
- Divide rice among shallow bowls, spoon beans and rice over rice and serve immediately. Enjoy!