Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
The meat on the bone is so rich in flavor, and because short ribs are fairly fatty, they are always moist.
- 1 (14 g) package porcini mushrooms or 1 (14 g) package shiitake mushrooms, dried
- 3 lbs beef simmering beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups button mushrooms
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 tablespoon crumbled dried rosemary
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, 796 ml
- 3⁄4 cup red wine (or 3/4 cup beef stock and 1 tbsp. wine vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In measuring cup, pour boiling water over porcini mushrooms; let stand for 20 minutes. Strain, reserving liquid. I like to strain the liquid through a paper towel lined sieve, because of the sand in the liquid from the mushrooms. Set mushrooms and liquid aside.
- Cut ribs into 2 bone pieces. Broil, turning once, until browned, 5 minutes. Place in slow cooker.
- In skillet, heat oil over medium high heat; sauté porcini and button mushrooms, onions, garlic, carrots, rosemary, salt and pepper until softened, 5 minutes. Scrape into slow cooker. Add tomatoes.
- Whisk together soaking liquid, wine and tomato paste; pour into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or until meat is tender. Skim off fat.
- In small bowl, whisk together flour, vinegar and 1/3 cup water; whisk into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Stir in parsley. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- VARIATION: Stove Top Short Ribs in Red Wine Sauce: Follow recipe as directed, using Dutch oven instead of slow cooker; cover and simmer over medium low heat until ribs are tender, about 2 hours. Skim of fat. Reduce flour to 2 tablespoons and water to ¼ cup; whisk into pan and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley.
- Canadian Living Make it Tonight.
Absolutely superb. I braised on stove top long and slow. Used button mushrooms. We went crazy over this meal!!!!!
This was absolutely delicious! My crock pot was not big enough to accommodate all the ingredients so I cooked the meat in the oven at 325 degrees F for 2 hours and it came out beautifully tender. The leftovers reheat well, too.