8 hrs 30 mins
The meat on the bone is so rich in flavor, and because short ribs are fairly fatty, they are always moist.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (14 g) package porcini mushrooms or 1 (14 g) package shiitake mushrooms, dried
- 3 lbs beef simmering beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups button mushrooms
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 tablespoon crumbled dried rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, 796 ml
- 3/4 cup red wine (or 3/4 cup beef stock and 1 tbsp. wine vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1In measuring cup, pour boiling water over porcini mushrooms; let stand for 20 minutes. Strain, reserving liquid. I like to strain the liquid through a paper towel lined sieve, because of the sand in the liquid from the mushrooms. Set mushrooms and liquid aside.
- 2Cut ribs into 2 bone pieces. Broil, turning once, until browned, 5 minutes. Place in slow cooker.
- 3In skillet, heat oil over medium high heat; sauté porcini and button mushrooms, onions, garlic, carrots, rosemary, salt and pepper until softened, 5 minutes. Scrape into slow cooker. Add tomatoes.
- 4Whisk together soaking liquid, wine and tomato paste; pour into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or until meat is tender. Skim off fat.
- 5In small bowl, whisk together flour, vinegar and 1/3 cup water; whisk into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Stir in parsley. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- 6VARIATION: Stove Top Short Ribs in Red Wine Sauce: Follow recipe as directed, using Dutch oven instead of slow cooker; cover and simmer over medium low heat until ribs are tender, about 2 hours. Skim of fat. Reduce flour to 2 tablespoons and water to ¼ cup; whisk into pan and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley.
- 7Canadian Living Make it Tonight.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Short Ribs in Red Wine Sauce or Stove Top
Serving Size: 1 (380 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1010.5
- Calories from Fat 765
- Total Fat 85.0 g
- Saturated Fat 36.1 g
- Cholesterol 172.3 mg
- Sodium 471.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 36.2 g