1 hr 10 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 1/2 lb chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup niter kebbeh
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup berbere
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1Rinse and dry the chicken pieces.
- 2Rub them with lemon juice and salt.
- 3Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 4In a heavy enamel stewpot, cook the onions over moderate heat for about 5 minutes.
- 5Do not let brown or burn.
- 6Stir in the niter kebbeh.
- 7Then add the garlic and spices.
- 8Stir well.
- 9Add the berbere and paprika, and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- 10Pour in the wine and water and bring to a boil.
- 11Cook briskly, uncovered, for about 5 minutes.
- 12Pat the chicken dry and drop it into the simmering sauce, turning the pieces about until coated on all sides.
- 13Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 14Meanwhile, piece the hard-boiled eggs with the tines of a fork, piercing approximately 1/4" into the egg all over the surface.
- 15After the chicken has cooked, add the eggs and turn them gently in the sauce.
- 16Cover and cook the doro wat for 15 more minutes.
- 17Add pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Doro Wat (Chicken Stewed in Red Pepper Paste)
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 243.2
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 181.0 mg
- Sodium 873.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 18.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: