Doro Wat (Chicken Stewed in Red Pepper Paste)
Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
- Rinse and dry the chicken pieces.
- Rub them with lemon juice and salt.
- Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a heavy enamel stewpot, cook the onions over moderate heat for about 5 minutes.
- Do not let brown or burn.
- Stir in the niter kebbeh.
- Then add the garlic and spices.
- Stir well.
- Add the berbere and paprika, and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and water and bring to a boil.
- Cook briskly, uncovered, for about 5 minutes.
- Pat the chicken dry and drop it into the simmering sauce, turning the pieces about until coated on all sides.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, piece the hard-boiled eggs with the tines of a fork, piercing approximately 1/4" into the egg all over the surface.
- After the chicken has cooked, add the eggs and turn them gently in the sauce.
- Cover and cook the doro wat for 15 more minutes.
- Add pepper to taste.