1/2 Photos of Emeril’s New Orleans-Style Red Beans and Rice
3 hrs 20 mins
"Oh yeah, this is it!" - are the words my husband declared when he tried this recipe for red beans and rice. He was craving New Orleans-style red beans and rice and I had never made it before- so this is the recipe I searched for and tried and it was delicious!! The kids thought it was great too. I only made a few small changes to Emeril's, like adding more sausage than the recipe called for and letting a smoked ham hock cook with the beans for the first two hours..other than that everything is the same. This is not a quick meal, but great for a lazy day at home.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 12 ounces smoked sausage, cut cross-wise into 1/4 thick slices
- 1 lb dried red beans or 1 lb red kidney beans, rinsed, sorted, soaked overnight and drained
- 3 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 10 cups water
- steamed rice
- 1Heat the oil in a large saucepan over med-high heat. Sauté the onions, bell pepper, celery, salt, cayenne, black pepper and thyme for about 5 minutes. Add the bay leaves, ham and sausage and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes
- 2Add the beans, garlic and 10 cups water to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and simmered uncovered, stirring occasionally for about 2 hours.
- 3Add more water if the mixture becomes dry and thick.
- 4After about 2 hours of initial cooking use a wooden spoon to mash about half of the mixture against the side of pot.
- 5Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about another hour or until the mixture is creamy and the beans are soft.
- 6Add more water if it becomes too thick. The mixture should be soupy but not watery.
- 7Remove the bay leaves and serve with steamed rice.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Emeril’s New Orleans-Style Red Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (446 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 202.7
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 27.5 mg
- Sodium 683.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 8.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked ham hock