This cocktail is served at the Sylvia Hotel in Vancouver, British Columbia. This fine old hotel built in 1912 is perched on the edge of Stanley Park and it was home to Vancouver's very first cocktail lounge which opened in 1954. The lounge is an excellent place to take in English Bay sunsets. Drinks at the Sylvia are inspired by the hotel's surroundings. This particular drink is named to commemorate a landmark tree nearby that was uprooted in the windstorms of late 2006. Enjoy.
- Muddle the strawberries in a bit of crushed ice.
- Put berries, lemon juice and vodka into a shaker, shake vigorously until well mixed.
- Pour into an old fashioned tumbler over ice cubes.
- Add a splash of champagne ( soda will also work).
- Garnish with a slice of strawberry and a fat straw.
Nice lemon and strawberry flavours. Our only complaint was that, even with ripe strawberries, it needed a bit of sweetness to balance out the tartness of the lemon. I added a dash of simple syrup, and that helped neutralize the overpowering lemon. Yum! Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Fall 2008.