1/2 Photos of Filet Mignon Au Bordelaise - Steak in Red Wine With Shallots
I like to serve this tender and delicious pan-seared steak for Valentine's Day or romantic occasions such as anniversaries and birthdays! Takes only 20 minutes, start to finish. Wonderful paired with my Alsatian Baked Potatoes or Gratin Dauphinois, steamed seasonal vegetables or a tossed green salad, and a simple dessert of fresh ripe berries & chantilly cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 29.58 ml butter
- 22.18 ml vegetable oil
- 4 (680.38-907.18 g) high quality filet of beef
- 283.49 g fresh mushrooms, in 1/4 to 1/2- inch thick slices (I use whatever looks fresh)
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml dry red wine
- 44.37 ml cognac (or brandy)
- 59.14 ml demi-glace or 59.14 ml beef stock
- 29.58 ml softened butter
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- crumbled Roquefort cheese (optional)
- 29.58 ml snipped fresh parsley
- fresh rosemary, for garnish
- 1Put butter and oil in a heavy skillet over high heat. When the butter has foamed and begins to subside it is right for the steak.
- 2Fry steak on one side 4 to 5 minutes. Turn steak and brown on other side 4 to 5 minutes (for medium-rare), depending on desired degree of doneness. Test for doneness by cutting a small incision in the steak (just a very small incision, about the same size as a meat thermometer makes!).
- 3Remove steak to a hot platter and sprinkle lightly with coarse sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper. Keep warm (cover and place in a 250 degree F oven).
- 4Add dry red wine, cognac, demi glace or beef stock, mushrooms and shallots to skillet and cook over high heat. Scrape up brown bits from bottom of the pan and boil until liquid is reduced almost to a syrup. Remove from heat and stir in the softened butter until it has melted. Pour sauce over steak.
- 5Top with a dab of crumbled Roquefort cheese, sprinkle with snipped fresh parsley and garnish with a sprig of rosemary, if desired.
- 6Wonderful served with Alsatian baked potatoes or Gratin Dauphinois, steamed seasonal vegetables or a tossed green salad, and ripe fresh berries in chantilly cream for dessert.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Filet Mignon Au Bordelaise - Steak in Red Wine With Shallots
Serving Size: 1 (183 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 700.6
- Calories from Fat 517
- Total Fat 57.4 g
- Saturated Fat 24.1 g
- Cholesterol 150.5 mg
- Sodium 196.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 33.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
filet of beef