Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Because sometimes I just like to keeep it simple.
Make and share this German Red Cabbage recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 medium red cabbage, shredded
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 medium granny smith apple, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Combine first 3 ingredients, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Pour over cabbage; toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature 5 - 10 minutes.
- Cook bacon in skillet until crisp; remove bacon reserving drippings in skillet.
- Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Cook onion and apple in reserved drippings in skillet, stirring constantly until tender.
- Add cabbage mixture and water, bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add wine vinegar and remaining 3 ingredients; simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Spoon into serving dish and sprinkle with the reserved bacon.