1/1 Photo of Hey Mom, I Want Some Red Hot Fruit Salad!
Occ things you do on pure impulse turn out to be neat surprises. I got 1 of those surprises last nite when DH and I decided to have a simple fruit salad for dinner. I made it, looked at it and then thought ... BORING! I wanted to do something to make it an esp tasty and out of the ordinary attention-getter. I was sorting thru my cupboard, ran across some red hot cinnamon candies I had just brought back from the US and I decided my search was over. Before you scoff and move on to the next recipe, I gotta tell you this is really good, has a great holiday look and would also be good for a unique pot-luck dish. My bet is it will have your family begging for this fruit salad or even thinking of it as a dessert. Time does not include refrigeration time.
My Private Note
1 cup s ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups seedless grapes (I used a mix of red & green)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 fresh oranges (peeled & sectioned, I had clementines on hand & used 3 of them)
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple (well-drained)
- 1 kiwi (peeled & diced)
- 1/2 cup yoghurt (I used caramel flavor, but use vanilla just as often)
- 1/4 cup red-hot candies
- 2 bananas (sliced in 1/2 in slices)
- 1Combine yoghurt, red-hot candies & raisins. Refrigerate for at least 2 hrs, stirring at 30 min intervals.
- 2Prepare & combine the remaining fruit ingredients in a bowl when nearly ready to serve. Add the bananas last.
- 3Add the yoghurt, red-hots & raisin mix to the fruit. Stir well & refrigerate till ready to serve, but is best if served soon after mixing.
- 4NOTES: A variety of fresh seasonal or canned fruits can be used w/equal success. The above was just what I had on hand. - Refrigeration time is important as it softens the candy & releases the cinnamon flavor & color. They will fully dissolve w/longer refrigeration time. Add chopped pecans or walnuts as an option & enjoy!
- 5CAUTION: You will want to eat this sauce w/a spoon & forget about the fruit! Pls try to resist this temptation. Your family will love you for it.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hey Mom, I Want Some Red Hot Fruit Salad!
Serving Size: 1 (322 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.9
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 3.9 mg
- Sodium 19.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 47.7 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: