1/3 Photos of Hungarian Goulash with Red wine
2 hrs 10 mins
Used to share a flat for 6 months with an hungarian, and this recipe is pretty much the way he did it, still love it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 lbs stewing beef, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed (less if you like)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 -2 green peppers or 1 -2 red pepper, in 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock (or water with stock cubes see stock cubes info on package)
- 1 1/2 cups of a dry red wine (the more flavour the better, if I don't have wine I increase the stock amount and add a bit of vineg)
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, minced or in cut in small pieces
- 1 big onion, cut small
- some sour cream, if you like it creamier (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika, if you like it hot (optional)
- 1fry bacon pieces in a deep pan for some minutes until the fat comes out.
- 2brown beef in bacon fat with the bacon, stirring.
- 3add onion and garlic cloves and brown, stirring.
- 4add pepper pieces and paprika and stir.
- 5add all other ingredients and cook covered on low heat for 1 1/2-2 hours or until tender Add more water if needed or if it is too thin take the cover off and evaporate the surplus water.
- 6Take out bay leaf and add sour cream if you prefer it.
- 7Serve with buttered noodles or with some bread dumplings.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hungarian Goulash with Red wine
Serving Size: 1 (332 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 329.2
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 104.9 mg
- Sodium 643.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 36.1 g