Prep 5 mins
Cook 24 hrs
The onions themselves are awesome in salads, on pizzas, in pasta salads, or on sandwiches. The "leftover" marinade makes the perfect base for a salad dressing. The tangy sweet combination is addictive.
- 1 red onion
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- For the onions: slice thinly and separate the rings.
- Place in a small bowl or plastic container with a lid.
- Pour the honey and vinegar on top and add the thyme. Shake.
- Place in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours, shaking when you think about it. (To speed this process up, place in the microwave for 2 minutes. Onions will be ready in about 30 minutes but not as rich).
- To serve, add to salads or sandwiches.
- Take the last of your onions and the marinade and place into the blender.
- Add olive oil and mustard. Blend until smooth. Taste. Add salt and pepper as you see fit.
- You may feel the need to add a bit more honey (or just use honey mustard). Now you have sweet onion dressing.