Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
From my food preservation yahoo group. Thai Red Curry and Penang Curry are similar. The difference is that the Penang version carries with it flavors from distant places - Malaysia, Burma, India (Penang is a state in northern Malaysia). Try this homemade red curry recipe with beef, chicken, tofu, wheat gluten, or beans and vegetables - you'll love its aroma and unique blend of flavors!
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon galangal, peeled and sliced (or substitute ginger)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (if unavailable, substitute regular soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed, ground
- 1 -2 red chili pepper, depending on how spicy you want it, deseeded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- Place all ingredients (except garnish) in a food processor. Process well to form a paste.
- Add up to 1 more can coconut milk to the paste (this will create a curry sauce).
- Add meat, fish, tofu, wheat gluten, beans or vegetables, and cook either in a wok / large frying pan, or in a covered casserole dish in the oven.
- Bake meat based penang curry at 375 degrees F. for at least 1 hour, or until meat is well done.
- Garnish your Penang Curry dish with the fresh basil leaves.