1/2 Photos of Penne With Sausage, Mushrooms and Red Wine
I pulled this out of the food section in the paper. I am anxious to try it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces Italian sausage
- 1 lb dry penne pasta
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups of chopped yellow onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 cups chopped portabella mushrooms or 1 1/2 cups cremini mushrooms or 1 1/2 cups button mushrooms
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups red wine, preferably Syrah
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes or 25 ounces pasta sauce
- grated parmesan cheese, asiago (optional) or pecorino cheese (optional)
- 1Remove casing from sausage and crumble it. Cook in a medium skillet until browned and no trace of pink remains, 6-7 minutes. Transfer to plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- 2Cook penne as directed.
- 3Wipe skillet clean, return to medium heat and add oil. Saute the onions and garlic until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, herbs if desired, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are lightly brown. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until reduced by a little more than half, about 10 minutes.
- 4Add tomatoes and some of their juice or the pasta sauce and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Add the reserved sausage and heat through. Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly.
- 5Drain the pasta and, if desired, return it to the pot, add the sauce and return to low heat for 2-3 minutes. Pass the cheese on the side.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne With Sausage, Mushrooms and Red Wine
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 983.8
- Calories from Fat 356
- Total Fat 39.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 48.4 mg
- Sodium 1577.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 117.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.9 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 27.9 g