I pulled this out of the food section in the paper. I am anxious to try it.
Make and share this Penne With Sausage, Mushrooms and Red Wine recipe from Food.com.
- 12 ounces Italian sausage
- 1 lb dry penne pasta
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups of chopped yellow onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped portabella mushrooms or 1 1⁄2 cups cremini mushrooms or 1 1⁄2 cups button mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine, preferably Syrah
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes or 25 ounces pasta sauce
- grated parmesan cheese, asiago (optional) or pecorino cheese (optional)
- Remove casing from sausage and crumble it. Cook in a medium skillet until browned and no trace of pink remains, 6-7 minutes. Transfer to plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Cook penne as directed.
- Wipe skillet clean, return to medium heat and add oil. Saute the onions and garlic until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, herbs if desired, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are lightly brown. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until reduced by a little more than half, about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and some of their juice or the pasta sauce and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Add the reserved sausage and heat through. Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly.
- Drain the pasta and, if desired, return it to the pot, add the sauce and return to low heat for 2-3 minutes. Pass the cheese on the side.