1/3 Photos of Quick Red Chicken Chili (With Chocolate!)
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 25 mins
Um Safia's Note:
I couldn't wait to get my hands on this recipe! Having eaten this chili twice before I am now a very happy bunny that I've finally managed to get hold of the recipe. To be honest, I actually had no idea that this chili has chocolate in, please don't leave it out - it really brings out all the flavours! Edited 10/06/09 to add: I made this chili this week & it turned out perfectly. As I was feeding 2 small children I reduced the chili powder to about 2 tbsp which was fine for them. Only other change was that I used red kidney beans in place of the pinto beans......The leftovers were great the next day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 rotisserie-cooked chicken (medium store bought rotisserie)
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil (or canola)
- 2 large brown onions, diced
- 2/3 cup chili powder (yes, it reallysays that! However start with 1/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes (with juice)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1Prepare the chickens by pulling all the meat from the bones and tearing into bite sized pieces. Reserve the bones and skin.
- 2Combine the chicken bones and skin, chicken broth and 4 cups of water in a large pot and bring to a boil over a medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer until the bones release their flavour - about 30 minutes. Strain the broth into a large bowl, now discard the bones and skin.
- 3Heat oil in a large roasting pan set over 2 burners on medium-high heat. Add onions and saute until soft - about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin and oregano, reduce heat to a medium-low & cook, stirring until spices are fragrant; 1-2 minutes.
- 4Stir in chicken, tomatoes and broth; bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally to blend the flavours, for about 30-40 minutes.
- 5Stir in the beans, garlic and chocolate, simmer to blend flavours for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the cornmeal over the chili, stir in and simmer for a further 2-3 minutes or until it has thickened up.
- 6Turn off the heat, cover and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- 7Ladle into bowls and serve immediately with your choice of accompaniments.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Red Chicken Chili (With Chocolate!)
Serving Size: 1 (516 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 510.2
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 87.7 mg
- Sodium 947.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.7 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 39.7 g