Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
Recipe comes from Pompeian web site and posting for safe keeping. If you cannot buy the vinegar, try Blueberry Pomegranate Infused Red Wine Vinegar. If you want to sub in pistachio for the nuts and red grapefruit for the oranges, that would be good too.
- 2 medium beets
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, DIVIDED
- 1⁄4 cup blueberry pomegranate infused red wine vinegar
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ginger, grated fresh
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 4 ounces greens
- 2 blood oranges or 2 navel oranges, peeled and cut into sections
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, chopped
- 1⁄2 ounce walnuts, chopped toasted (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Rinse beets and drain on paper toweling.
- Place the beets on foil-lined baking sheet, drizzle with 1 teaspoon of the oil and toss to coat well.
- Arrange in a single layer in small pan, bake tightly covered with foil 60 to 90 minutes, or until just tender. (This you could do ahead of time. I find beets easier to peel after cooking).
- Remove foil from beets and place on wire rack to cool at least 20 minutes; peel and cut each into 8 wedges.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining olive oil, vinegar, sugar, ginger, and salt in a jar or container with lid.
- Arrange the lettuce on a large platter, top with the oranges, red onion, cilantro, walnuts, and baked beets.
- Shake the jar vigorously and drizzle ONE HALF of the dressing evenly over all.
- Refrigerate remaining dressing up to 3 days for later use.