This soup makes a lovely starter to any autumn meal. It goes particular well with game. Recipe source is a Swiss cooking magazine called 'KOCHEN' (octobre 04). This soup freezes well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small tart apple
- 1 lb red cabbage (500g)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons cranberry jam (or sauce, or chutney)
- 200 ml red wine
- 600 ml vegetable stock (I often add more at the end)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 juniper berries
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- fresh ground black pepper
- 100 ml cream
- walnut oil (optional) or olive oil (optional)
- 1Peel and slice the onion. Peel, deseed and slice the apple. Wash the red cabbage, quarter, remove and discard middle part, and cut into stripes.
- 2Melt butter in a large pot. Add onion and apple and fry for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the cabbage and cook for a couple of minutes. Keep stirring. Add cranberry jam/sauce/chutney, red wine, vegetable stock, bay leaf and juniper berries. Cover with lid and cook on low heat until vegetable is done. This will take about 40 minutes.
- 3Remove and discard bay leaf and blend soup. I always use a big pot and blend my soup in the pot with my hand blender.
- 4Add additional water or stock if desired. Cook for another 3-4 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar, salt (if necessary), and pepper. Remove from heat and add cream. Depending on the fat content of your cream, the cream may curdle if heated on high temperature. Check if soup is hot enough. If not, only warm on low heat, in particular if you use single cream!
- 5SERVE: Ladle soup into warmed bowls and sprinkle with the additional walnut or olive oil. You may want to sprinkle your soup with some cream instead of the oil.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Cabbage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.7
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 23.9 mg
- Sodium 41.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 1.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: