1/3 Photos of Red Devil Chicken
Firefighters have a nickname (or a curse name) for fire, "The Red Devil." This chicken is so spicy with red pepper, Italians call it pollo alla diavola, or "chicken, devil-style." Split, splayed on the grill, and weighted under a follwrapped brick, the end result is a particularly Juicy bird with a crispy skin. A heavy cast-iron skillet works well as a weight, also. Recipe from: The Firehouse Grilling Cookbook Prep time includes marinating the chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Using a cleaver or heavy knife, cut down one side of the backbone to cut the chicken in half.
- 2Cut down the other side and discard the backbone.
- 3Place the chicken on a work surface, skin side up.
- 4Press hard on the breastbone with the heel of your hand to flatten the chicken.
- 5In a small bowl, whisk together the wine, oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, and salt.
- 6Place the chicken and marinade in a zippered plastic bag.
- 7Close the bag and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, and up to 2 hours.
- 8Build a charcoal fire in one side of an outdoor grill and let burn until covered with white ash.
- 9Place a large disposable aluminum foil pan on the empty side of the grill and fill halfway with water.
- 10In a gas grill, preheat on High.
- 11Turn one burner off, and keep the other burner (s) on High.
- 12Place the foil pan on the Off burner, and fill halfway with water.
- 13Remove the chicken from the marinade.
- 14Lightly oil the cooking grate.
- 15Place, skin-side down, over the pan.
- 16Weight the chicken with an aluminum foilwrapped brick.
- 17Cover and cook for 25 minutes.
- 18Remove the brick and turn the chicken.
- 19Cover and continue cooking (without the brick) until the chicken shows no sign of pink when pierced at the thighbone, about 25 minutes more.
- 20Using a cleaver or heavy knife, chop the chicken into quarters, and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Devil Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (501 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 774.8
- Calories from Fat 536
- Total Fat 59.6 g
- Saturated Fat 14.3 g
- Cholesterol 207.0 mg
- Sodium 485.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 51.5 g