1/2 Photos of Red Lentil and Carrot Soup With Coconut for the Crock Pot
8 hrs 20 mins
The coconut milk in this recipe creates a nutty and interesting flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups red lentils, well washed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, including juice
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 cups vegetable broth or 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1 -4 teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro (to garnish)
- 1In a large skillet cook onions in the olive oil until soft.
- 2Add garlic, turmeric, cumin seeds, salt and pepper; cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- 3Add tomatoes and bring to a boil, breaking them up as you stir.
- 4Add carrots, lentils, lemon juice and broth.
- 5Spoon mixture into slow cooker; cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or low for 8-10 hours.
- 6Stir in coconut milk and continue cooking on high for 20 minutes, until heated through.
- 7Serve topped with fresh cilantro and several dashes of your favorite hot sauce.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Lentil and Carrot Soup With Coconut for the Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.7
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 527.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.2 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 21.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
light coconut milk