1/1 Photo of Red Lentil & Coconut Curry
A great vegetarian dinner from Classic Home Cooking! Serve this up with a nice steaming dish of rice!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 3 2/3 cups water
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 fresh green chile, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons black mustard seeds (or yellow)
- 1Put the lentils into a sacuepan and add the 3 2/3 cups water. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender.
- 2Using a mortar and pestle(or food processor), crush the fresh ginger, 2/3 of the chilies, and 2 of the garlic cloves until smooth. Add to the lentils.
- 3Add the coconut milk, turmeric, ground ginger, lemon juice, and salt to taste. Cook gently, stirring for 1 minute, then increase the heat and cook for 5 minutes, or until any excess liquid has evaporated. Taste for seasoning.
- 4Crush the remaining garlic and set aside. Melt the butter in a skillet and add the mustard seeds. As soon as they begin to pop, remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the crushed garlic and the remaining chopped chili.
- 5Transfer the lentil mixture to a warm serving dish and top with the garlic,chili, and mustard seed butter. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Lentil & Coconut Curry
Serving Size: 1 (1567 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 469.9
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.6 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 89.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 21.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: