Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
This is probably not for everyone, but if you are into spices, you might want to give this a try. As always, adjust whatever spice to your taste.
- 2 1⁄2 cups dried red lentils
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 5 cups water
- 3 cups chicken broth
- In a bowl, place lentils and add water to cover.
- Let soak for 1 hour, then drain.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan.
- Saute onions until golden brown.
- Add next 10 ingredients and cook over low heat, stirring occasionaly, for 5 minutes.
- Add lentils, water and broth; simmer until lentils are very tender, about 25-35 minutes.
- You can eat the soup at this point or if you prefer, you can let the soup cool, pour into a blender container (in batches) and puree.
- If you puree the soup, then you will need to reheat it.
- Ladle into individual soup bowls.