1/2 Photos of Red Onion Soup or Zuppa Di Cipolle Rosse
2 hrs 20 mins
Karen's Krazy Kitchen's Note:
I love how this simple dish scents the whole house when cooking. Sometimes I add 2 tbs. of Port or Sherry as a special treat. Note: You will need some cheese cloth or a large tea ball strainer to make this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lbs red onions, peeled and very, very thinly sliced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- cheese cloth, a six inch square of
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1 loaf of a good hearty bread, sliced
- grated parmesan cheese or romano cheese
- 1Melt the butter with the olive oil over low heat in a deep heavy bottomed pan.
- 2Add onions and cook very slowly for about an hour, until extremely soft, stirring occasionally. You want the onions to melt into the oils, but not brown.
- 3Tie up the herbs and garlic, except for the bay leaf, in the cheese cloth. Or, pull the leaves off the rosemary and put in a tea ball strainer with the smashed garlic. Place the rest of the herbs across the strainer and clamp them down.
- 4Add the herb and garlic mixture and bay leaf to the cooked onions.
- 5Pour the stock over the onions and herbs.
- 6Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 7Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- 8Discard the herbs and bay leaf.
- 9Line either a large serving bowl or individual bowls with slices of bread.
- 10Spoon on the soup. Sprinkle with the cheese.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Onion Soup or Zuppa Di Cipolle Rosse
Serving Size: 1 (475 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 448.1
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 510.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 10.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: