1/2 Photos of Red Onion Soup or Zuppa Di Cipolle Rosse
2 hrs 20 mins
Karen's Krazy Kitchen's Note:
I love how this simple dish scents the whole house when cooking. Sometimes I add 2 tbs. of Port or Sherry as a special treat. Note: You will need some cheese cloth or a large tea ball strainer to make this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lbs red onions, peeled and very, very thinly sliced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- cheese cloth, a six inch square of
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1 loaf of a good hearty bread, sliced
- grated parmesan cheese or romano cheese
- 1Melt the butter with the olive oil over low heat in a deep heavy bottomed pan.
- 2Add onions and cook very slowly for about an hour, until extremely soft, stirring occasionally. You want the onions to melt into the oils, but not brown.
- 3Tie up the herbs and garlic, except for the bay leaf, in the cheese cloth. Or, pull the leaves off the rosemary and put in a tea ball strainer with the smashed garlic. Place the rest of the herbs across the strainer and clamp them down.
- 4Add the herb and garlic mixture and bay leaf to the cooked onions.
- 5Pour the stock over the onions and herbs.
- 6Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 7Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- 8Discard the herbs and bay leaf.
- 9Line either a large serving bowl or individual bowls with slices of bread.
- 10Spoon on the soup. Sprinkle with the cheese.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Onion Soup or Zuppa Di Cipolle Rosse
Serving Size: 1 (475 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 448.1
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 510.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 10.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: