Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From Southern Living...January 2009. Serve with crusty bread or over rice to catch the rich gravy.
Make and share this Red Wine Beef Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 4 lbs boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- 4 tablespoons flour, divided
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 29 ounces low sodium beef broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small turnip
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 16 ounces baby carrots
- Cut beef into 2 to 2 1/2 inch pieces; pat with paper towels to absorb excess moisture. Combine 3 tablespoons flour, 1 teaspoon salt, paprika and pepper in a bowl; toss beef with flour mixture.
- Cook beef in batches, in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring often, 4-6 minutes until brown. Remove beef from Dutch oven. Add red wine, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of Dutch oven. Return beef to Dutch oven; add broth, thyme, bay leaf, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, peel turnip, and cut into 1 inch cubes. Halve mushrooms. Add turnip, mushrooms, and carrots to stew. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until meat is fork tender.
- Whisk together remaining 1 tablespoon flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt until blended; whisk 1/2 cup hot broth into flour mixture until smooth. Whisk flour mixture into stew until smooth. Cook stirring often, 20 minutes or until thickened.
Excellent!!! We loved it, my parents loved it - don't change a thing!
This has to be the best stew we had for awhile.I had 1 cup tomato juice that I added and tobasco sauce. Will surely make again.