Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Adapted from PBS Secrets of a Chef, Hubert Keller. This recipe can be made in a pressure cooker in less than 1/2 the time.
- 4 lbs beef short ribs, bone in
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, coarse chop
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 inches fresh ginger, thin sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Season short ribs on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in an oven safe 5 quart casserole or Dutch oven over high heat.
- Sear ribs on all sides until browned, about 5 minutes each side.
- Place ribs in a shallow baking dish.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add onions, carrots, celery, ginger and garlic.
- With the back of your knife, smash lemongrass then slice.
- Add to pot.
- Sauté vegetables until soft.
- Add wine and scrape bottom of pot to loosen any brown bits.
- Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, brown sugar, parsley, stock, and fresh sage sprig.
- Return ribs to pot, cover, and place in oven.
- Cook 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove cover and cook an additional hour in the oven.
- Once the ribs are tender, remove to the baking dish and tent with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Strain sauce and discard vegetables.
- Cook sauce another 5 minutes to darken and thicken slightly.
- Return ribs, heat and serve with polenta or side dish or your choice.