1/1 Photo of Red Wine Braised Beef Short Ribs
3 hrs 15 mins
Adapted from PBS Secrets of a Chef, Hubert Keller. This recipe can be made in a pressure cooker in less than 1/2 the time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs beef short ribs, bone in
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, coarse chop
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 inches fresh ginger, thin sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Season short ribs on all sides with salt and pepper.
- 3Heat olive oil in an oven safe 5 quart casserole or Dutch oven over high heat.
- 4Sear ribs on all sides until browned, about 5 minutes each side.
- 5Place ribs in a shallow baking dish.
- 6Reduce heat to medium low and add onions, carrots, celery, ginger and garlic.
- 7With the back of your knife, smash lemongrass then slice.
- 8Add to pot.
- 9Sauté vegetables until soft.
- 10Add wine and scrape bottom of pot to loosen any brown bits.
- 11Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, brown sugar, parsley, stock, and fresh sage sprig.
- 12Return ribs to pot, cover, and place in oven.
- 13Cook 1 1/2 hours.
- 14Remove cover and cook an additional hour in the oven.
- 15Once the ribs are tender, remove to the baking dish and tent with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- 16Strain sauce and discard vegetables.
- 17Cook sauce another 5 minutes to darken and thicken slightly.
- 18Return ribs, heat and serve with polenta or side dish or your choice.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Wine Braised Beef Short Ribs
Serving Size: 1 (471 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1030.7
- Calories from Fat 803
- Total Fat 89.3 g
- Saturated Fat 36.8 g
- Cholesterol 172.3 mg
- Sodium 582.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 34.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: