8 hrs 45 mins
This has rich red wine flavors but with fresh broccoli rabe and herb chicken done in advance and then just sliced on a bed of the pasta topped with Romano cheese. If you don't like the tang of romano use Parmesan. And for that matter if you can't find broccoli rabe, use regular broccoli. QUICK TIP: My tip for the day, pick up from your local grocery store some olives. This goes great with a big bowl of olives, or artichoke hearts, just in a can (without oil). Hit the artichokes with a little balsamic and olive oil, salt and pepper and put in a bowl next to the olives. And what a great side dish. Salad. Buy a bag of greens. Add a very simple (even store bought if time is difficult) vinaigrette your favorite, some fresh heirlooms and good red onion sliced thin. Very classic salad but always good. But the spaghetti and the chicken is the star. I have to admit that I have made the spaghetti for years, but the addition of the broccoli came from FN, Michael Chiarello. My Italian friend first turned me on the the "Red" spaghetti many years ago, however I loved the addition of the broccoli rabe thanks to the FN. So I can't take all the credit for this, but definitely worth sharing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 lb spaghetti (you can use vermicelli or thin spaghetti too)
- 1 3/4 lbs broccoli rabe
- 1 (750 ml) bottle red wine i like merlot or 1 (750 ml) bottle you can use zinfandel
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, cut in half and thin sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup romano cheese, grated
- 1Chicken -- mix the marinade in the baggie and add the chicken and just let it go all day. That's it.
- 2In a large sauce pan we have 2 cooking steps. We first need to cook the chicken and then need to cook the vegetables.
- 3First the chicken - In a medium sauce pan on medium high heat, add the chicken and sear 4-5 minutes on the first side until golden brown. You want a good sear. Then flip and cook another 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Remove and cover to let it rest while you make the pasta and cook the vegetables.
- 4Pasta -- In a large pot cook the pasta according to directions. I like to use thin spaghetti, but spaghetti or vermicelli will work just fine for this. Just follow the directions on the box. Once finished, drain the pasta. In that same pot add the oil, red pepper flakes, sugar and heat up for just for a minute on medium. Then add the wine and cook for another 2-3 minutes on medium heat so it reduces slightly. Then add the drained pasta back inches Finish with salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Vegetables -- While the pasta cooks, in that same pan in the drippings from the chicken, add the onion and cook 2-3 minutes and then the broccoli rabe and cook until tender and soft. Four (4)-5 minutes is all it takes. It goes pretty quick and don't over cook the broccoli, you want it tender and will continue to cook once added into the warm pasta.
- 6Now -- 1) Dinner. Thin slice the chicken breasts; 2) Add the vegetables to the pasta and toss well; 3) Plate the pasta and top with slices of chicken; 4) Garnish with fresh romano (you can use parmesan if you want). ENJOY!
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Wine Pasta, Broccoli Rabe & Grilled Herb Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (463 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 848.7
- Calories from Fat 315
- Total Fat 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 89.7 mg
- Sodium 745.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 43.3 g