1/1 Photo of Redskins Tailgate Chili
2 hrs 40 mins
Found this while looking for food ideas to cheer on the the Washington Redskins!! This is a very good chili - didn't use the hot sauce to make it more kid friendly and it was perfect!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 links Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 dark beer
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish
- 1 (8 ounce) jar sliced jalapenos, for garnish
- 1The Night Before:.
- 2Start out by removing the skin from the Italian sausage.
- 3In a large skillet, begin to brown the sausage and ground beef.
- 4Drain the meats once browned. Remove from skillet and place in a large pot.
- 5In the skillet, brown the onion, pepper and mushrooms. Add garlic for the last two minutes.
- 6Transfer the mixture to the large pot.
- 7Add whole tomatoes and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Be sure to break the tomatoes up well.
- 8Stir in chili powder, oregano, parsley, and the hot sauce. Remove from the heat and refrigerate overnight after cooling.
- 10Light the burner and sit the pot of goodness over the heat.
- 11Add the kidney beans in and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and begin to simmer the chili.
- 12Now add the tomato paste and the dark beer. I use Newcastle, but Guinness, and Becks dark are both great in this recipe as well.
- 13Simmer uncovered until the mixture reduces to desired thickness. If it stays uncovered for an extended period of time and thickens too much just add a little more beer to loosen things back up a bit.
- 14Scoop into bowls and top with a few of the jalapeno slices and a sprinkle or two of cheddar.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Redskins Tailgate Chili
Serving Size: 1 (341 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 440.6
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 80.0 mg
- Sodium 720.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 29.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: