Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a very tasty roast, what a delicious sauce that goes with it! I tried it once and love it - I know I'll be trying more and more!!
- 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce (Smokey Bourbon Applewood Grilling Sauce)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 lbs beef tenderloin roast
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth, 25% less sodium
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 400°F Combine 2 tablespoons grilling sauce, 1 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, chili powder and pepper. Rub tenderloin with mixture. (To make ahead, refrigerate covered for up to 8 hours).
- Heat remaining olive oil in a heavy roasting pan over medium heat. Add tenderloin to pan, then place in oven until done to your liking , for medium, a meat thermometer in center of roast reads 160F, about 40 minutes. Add onions to roasting pan with tenderloin for last 20 minutes of roasting. Transfer roast to a cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm and rest.
- Place raosting pan on stove over medium heat. Add wine and bring to a boil, stirring to scrape any brown bits on bottom of pan. Simmer until reduced by half. Add broth and simmer for 5 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk remaining grilling sauce, flour and 2 tablespoons simmering broth and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Carve roast and place on a platter. Serve with sauce.