From the Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen. A different take on hummus. It seems there are as many versions of hummus as there are of macaroni and cheese!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium bell peppers, quartered, seeded and membranes removed
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds, toasted (or 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin)
- 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans (or 1 19 ounce can, rinsed and reserve liquid)
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 3 -4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 3 tablespoons sesame tahini (see my Tahini Made Easy)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup scallion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro (NOT dried)
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2In small castiron skillet lightly toast the cumin seeds until they start turning fragrant, about 3-5 minutes. DO NOT burn! Set aside.
- 3On an ungreased baking sheet arrange the bell pepper quarters skin side up. Roast for about 20 minutes or until the skin starts to blister and char.
- 4Remove peppers from oven and immediately place the peppers in a paper bag to "sweat". Close bag tightly and let stand for 20 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender combine the garbanzo beans and broth, processing until smooth.
- 6Next remove the skin, seeds and membrane from the bell peppers and add to the food processor along with the lemon juice, tahini, garlic and salt. If choosing to use ground cumin add it in, too, with the lemon juice, tahini, etc. If using whole cumin seeds, see Step #7. Process until very smooth. (Also, if the mixture seems too thick and won't blend well, start by adding a tablespoon or so of broth or garbanzo bean liquid).
- 7Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl and add the toasted cumin seeds, scallions, and fresh cilantro. Stir well to combine.
- 8Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Adjust seasoning if necessary and garnish with suggested toppings if desired.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Red Pepper and Cilantro Hummus
Serving Size: 1 (106 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 153.2
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 248.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 5.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: