This soup hails from Jolley's Boathouse in Adelaide, Australia. It is a light soup that highlights the wonderful flavors of roasted vegetables.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise, discarding seeds and membranes.
- Place peppers and tomatoes, skin sides up on a foil lined baking sheet. Flatten peppers with hand.
- Broil 15 minutes, or until vegetables are blackened.
- Place peppers into zip-top bag, seal, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Peel peppers and tomatoes. Chop.
- Place half of the peppers and tomatoes into the blender and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large sauce pan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic, cover and cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Increase to medium heat. Add pureed vegetables, remaining chopped vegetables, the tomato juice, chopped marjoram, plack pepper, and salt. Cook until fully heated through.
- Ladle soup into bowls, and garnish with marjoram springs if desired.