1/3 Photos of Rose's Chamorro Red Rice
This is a staple at all my Chamorro fiestas or barbeques. It isn't a party without it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups short-grain rice, Calrose rice is preferred
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil or 4 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 (1/3 ounce) package achiote powder, I use Mama Cita's brand, can be found at any Asian market
- 2 (1 1/2 ounce) packages sazon goya with coriander and annatto
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package Goya ham seasoning
- 1/4-1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, may need more according to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Accent seasoning
- 1In a bowl, wash the rice until the water runs clear. Transfer to a rice cooker pot that's at least a 10 cup cooker. In a separate bowl; combine the rest of ingredients. Making sure to combine the seasonings until dissolved and the achiote powder is well mixed. Taste a bit and adjust the salt and seasonings according to your taste preference.
- 2Pour over the rice in the cooker and stir well to combine. Press button to cook; halfway through cooking time, stir to combine the ingredients thoroughly. Let cooking time finish. Let sit a few minutes before enjoying.
- 3This can also be cooked on the stovetop. Bring the rice to a full boil, stir, cover with a lid and lower heat to about med-low. Continue cooking for about 20-30 minutes. Make sure to keep an eye on it as not to burn. That's why I prefer the rice cooker.
- 4Enjoy with chamorro barbeque and finadene.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rose's Chamorro Red Rice
Serving Size: 1 (241 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 511.9
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 297.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 8.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sazon goya with coriander and annatto
Goya ham seasoning