This turned out really well for me. Not too sweet with lots of flavor. Makes a perfect side dish for autumn meals. TNT
- 2 1⁄2 lbs red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup raisins or 1⁄4 cup craisins
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup toasted walnuts (optional) or 1⁄2 cup pecans (optional)
- Sautee red cabbage, onion and garlic in oil until it just begins to wilt, several minutes.
- Add water, salt, pepper, and cinnamon and stir until mixture shrinks down into the pan.
- Add sliced sausage, raisins, pomegranate juice and pomegranate molasses and sugar,stirring well.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, or until cabbage is tender and flavorful.
- Garnish with toasted nuts, if desired.