Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I found this recipe in a Cooking Light book back in 2005. I have used this recipe so many time that the book is falling apart. You just throw it toghter and forget about it. Enjoy!
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup kidney bean, dried
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon red pepper, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 7 ounces smoked turkey sausage, thinly sliced
- 7 ounces smoked pork sausage, thinly sliced
- 7 ounces smoked beef sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups long-grain rice, hot cooked
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- Combine first 12 ingredients in an electric slow cooker.
- Cover with lid;cook on high-heat setting for 5 hours.
- Discard bay leaf, stir in salt.
- Serve over rice, sprinkle with green onions.
Yes, this is the same recipe I have from Cooking Light, and it is very good. Simple, but the flavors are so good together after slow cooking for a long time.
This recipe re-surfaced on CL's top favorite slow cooker recipes recently. It received some mixed ratings there, but we loved it. I used low-sodium chicken broth instead of water - some have suggested using V-8. I misread the recipe and used only smoked turkey sausage -about 3/4 of a 14 ounce package. We don't eat beef or pork, so I guess I read what I wanted to read! In spite of the recipe's title, we used egg noodles instead of rice - for no particular reason. Very tasty dish with a bit of hotness.