Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Great hearty soup . . with fresh bread it's a meal in itself. The original recipe came from Keegan's, a local restaurant in Phoenix, however I've made modifications to it over the years. Lighter version can be made by cooking the potatoes in 2 1/4 cups broth.
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vegetable bouillon granules or 1⁄4 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 4 slices bacon, fried crisp
- 2 teaspoons bacon drippings or 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, mixed with
- 1⁄2 cup flour, until smooth
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In medium saucepan, bring potatoes, cream and bullion to a simmer over medium heat until tender.
- In large stock pot, fry bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon, save drippings.
- Saute onions in 2 Tablespoons bacon fat (or oil) over medium heat until soft.
- Add peppers and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in salt, thyme, white pepper, poultry seasoning and coriander.
- Add milk and heat gently, do not boil.
- Add potato mixture to stock pot, stir and bring to simmer.
- Thicken with cooled butter-flour mixture.
- Stir well.
- Simmer lightly to obtain a gloss.
- Add corn and heat thoroughly.
- Sprinkle bacon bits on top before serving.
Very good, this soup has a wonderful combo of flavors, I used one large jalapeno pepper in place of the poblano peppers as that is all I had, also added in cayenne pepper and increased the chicken bouillon, my DH loved this soup, thank you Galley!... Kitten:)
This is so very good! Here's my mods: used Homogenized milk (3.25%) throughout, used 2 red peppers, no poblanos available. Servied it with caesar croutons and it was absolutely delicious. Thanks for posting!