1/1 Photo of Southwestern Corn and Red Pepper Chowder
Galley Wench's Note:
Great hearty soup . . with fresh bread it's a meal in itself. The original recipe came from Keegan's, a local restaurant in Phoenix, however I've made modifications to it over the years. Lighter version can be made by cooking the potatoes in 2 1/4 cups broth.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vegetable bouillon granules or 1/4 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 4 slices bacon, fried crisp
- 2 teaspoons bacon drippings or 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter, mixed with
- 1/2 cup flour, until smooth
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1In medium saucepan, bring potatoes, cream and bullion to a simmer over medium heat until tender.
- 2In large stock pot, fry bacon until crisp.
- 3Remove bacon, save drippings.
- 4Saute onions in 2 Tablespoons bacon fat (or oil) over medium heat until soft.
- 5Add peppers and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- 6Stir in salt, thyme, white pepper, poultry seasoning and coriander.
- 7Add milk and heat gently, do not boil.
- 8Add potato mixture to stock pot, stir and bring to simmer.
- 9Thicken with cooled butter-flour mixture.
- 10Stir well.
- 11Simmer lightly to obtain a gloss.
- 12Add corn and heat thoroughly.
- 13Sprinkle bacon bits on top before serving.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Corn and Red Pepper Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (361 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 712.8
- Calories from Fat 506
- Total Fat 56.2 g
- Saturated Fat 32.5 g
- Cholesterol 179.8 mg
- Sodium 504.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 13.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetable bouillon granules