Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
adapted from cooking light, this is great on a cool autumn evening.
Make and share this Spicy Red Lentil Coconut Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons Thai basil, chiffonaded
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper
- heat oil in a large saucepan.
- add onions, spices and garlic and cook until softened.
- add lentils, brith, and water and bring to a boil.
- cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- remove from heat and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- with an immersion blender puree soup until it's smooth.
- (this can also be done in a blender, in batches).
- stir in coconut milk and remaining ingredients.
This was really good! Bill made it last night with a few changes: He accidentally bought cream of coconut instead of coconut milk, but we cut the sweetness with a dash of cayenne pepper â€” which also made it spicier since your "spicy" soup has no heat. Also, we don't have a blender, so our soup was a little more chunky. But we like it that way! So it was very tasty!