Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
adapted from cooking light, this is great on a cool autumn evening.
Make and share this Spicy Red Lentil Coconut Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons Thai basil, chiffonaded
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper
- heat oil in a large saucepan.
- add onions, spices and garlic and cook until softened.
- add lentils, brith, and water and bring to a boil.
- cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- remove from heat and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- with an immersion blender puree soup until it's smooth.
- (this can also be done in a blender, in batches).
- stir in coconut milk and remaining ingredients.
Really easy, really delicious! I did add a pinch of Aleppo pepper. I saw no need to puree because the red lentils all but dissolve. Made in memory of Sandy. RIP dear cooking friend.
This was really good! Bill made it last night with a few changes: He accidentally bought cream of coconut instead of coconut milk, but we cut the sweetness with a dash of cayenne pepper â€” which also made it spicier since your "spicy" soup has no heat. Also, we don't have a blender, so our soup was a little more chunky. But we like it that way! So it was very tasty!