Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got this recipe from Family Circle Magazine and loved it! The only thing I do differently is marinate the steaks in red wine over night with a little meat tenderizer. At the end, to thicken up the sauce, I add about 1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch in the last minute of boiling the sauce.
- 3 lbs boneless strip steaks (4 steaks, 1-inch thick)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup canned condensed beef broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- Season steaks with salt.
- Press pepper on surfaces.
- Heat oil in large heavy skillet over high heat.
- Add steaks.
- Lower heat to medium; cook, turning once, 4 minutes per side for rare, 6 minutes per side for medium-rare, and 8-10 minutes per side for well-done.
- Remove to warm platter; keep steaks warm.
- Add onion to skillet; cook until browned, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Add half the rosemary, half the garlic and cook, stirring, 20 seconds.
- Add wine.
- Increase heat to high; boil vigorously 2 minutes.
- Add broth, sugar and meat juices that have collected on platter.
- Boil 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half, about 1 cup.
- Add remaining rosemary and garlic.
- Pour over steaks and serve.