You can use 1/2 cup water in place of 1/4 cup each broth and water. This recipe will feed 3-4 people but can easily be doubled. To save some time prepare all the veggies in advance. Adjust all ingredients to taste. Serve with cooked rice.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- sesame seeds
- 3 green onions, chopped
- In a large wok heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add in the sliced carrots, onion, red bell pepper, garlic and dryed chili flakes; stir-fry for about 3-4 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together, water, broth, soy sauce, vinegar and brown sugar; add to the skillet; bring to a boil.
- Add in uncooked shrimp and brocccoli florets, cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until the shrimp are pink in colour and the broccoli is just crisp-tender.
- In a small cup whisk together cornstarch; add to the simmering sauce and cook until thickened (about 30 seconds to 1 minute).
- Serve topped sesame seeds then topped chopped green onions.
Made half a recipe for the two of us and it was great. Loved all the veggies in it. Served with egg rolls.
great basic recipe!
Made this for dinner last night and it turned out great! Made as directed except I left out the onion (personal taste). The sauce was amazing and there was enough for the rice I served it with. If you are going to make this with rice, start your rice first because this dish cooks fast. I made this mistake and ended up with overcooked shrimp. I used canned chicken broth and used the rest of the can to cook the rice in so that it did not go to waste. This will definitely be a go to recipe in my house! Thanks kittencalskitchen for a great recipe.