You can use 1/2 cup water in place of 1/4 cup each broth and water. This recipe will feed 3-4 people but can easily be doubled. To save some time prepare all the veggies in advance. Adjust all ingredients to taste. Serve with cooked rice.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- sesame seeds
- 3 green onions, chopped
- In a large wok heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add in the sliced carrots, onion, red bell pepper, garlic and dryed chili flakes; stir-fry for about 3-4 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together, water, broth, soy sauce, vinegar and brown sugar; add to the skillet; bring to a boil.
- Add in uncooked shrimp and brocccoli florets, cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until the shrimp are pink in colour and the broccoli is just crisp-tender.
- In a small cup whisk together cornstarch; add to the simmering sauce and cook until thickened (about 30 seconds to 1 minute).
- Serve topped sesame seeds then topped chopped green onions.