I got this out of my (wedding gift) 1973 Betty Crocker Cookbook. I have been making it for years. My mother in law is German and she can't believe I didn't get this out of a German cookbook. I have to make it ever year at Thanksgiving for my Step Dad (he loves it). I like to prepare this the day before and reheat it. The flavors blend together so much better. Hope you enjoy!
- Prepare and cook 5 cups shredded cabbage by heating 1/2 inch salted water (about 1/4 tsp) and 2 tbs vinegar, add cabbage. Cover and heat to boiling; cook about 10 minutes. Drain.
- Fry bacon until crisp; remove and drain.
- Pour off all but 1 tbs bacon drippings.
- Stir brown sugar and flour into bacon drippings in skillet.
- Add water, vinegar, the salt, pepper and onion.
- Cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Add bacon and sauce mixture to hot cabbage; stir together gently and heat through.