1/4 Photos of Sweet-Sour Red Cabbage-German
I got this out of my (wedding gift) 1973 Betty Crocker Cookbook. I have been making it for years. My mother in law is German and she can't believe I didn't get this out of a German cookbook. I have to make it ever year at Thanksgiving for my Step Dad (he loves it). I like to prepare this the day before and reheat it. The flavors blend together so much better. Hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare and cook 5 cups shredded cabbage by heating 1/2 inch salted water (about 1/4 tsp) and 2 tbs vinegar, add cabbage. Cover and heat to boiling; cook about 10 minutes. Drain.
- 2Fry bacon until crisp; remove and drain.
- 3Pour off all but 1 tbs bacon drippings.
- 4Stir brown sugar and flour into bacon drippings in skillet.
- 5Add water, vinegar, the salt, pepper and onion.
- 6Cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- 7Add bacon and sauce mixture to hot cabbage; stir together gently and heat through.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet-Sour Red Cabbage-German
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 118.7
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 3.6 mg
- Sodium 473.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 14.7 g
- Protein 3.0 g