Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Wonderful thai recipe that is great for the just the two of us. Use vegetables that are in season for a more affordable meal.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste (or 3 teaspoons for a hotter curry)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 zucchini
- 1 red pepper
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 12 ounces meat
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 large fresh basil leaves, finely sliced
- HEAT the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and cook the onion for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. ADD the curry paste and garlic and cook, stirring, for a minute. ADD the coconut milk, stock, fish sauce, sugar and salt, then bring to the boil. ADD the red pepper and zucchini, cover with a lid, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 12 minutes. WHILE the curry simmers, cook the rice. ADD the chicken to the curry and simmer, covered, for a further 8 minutes. ADD the cornstarch paste and stir continuously until the curry thickens, then stir in the lemon juice and basil. SERVE on a bed of rice.
We loved it!! I added squash (because I had some) and left out the basil (because we didn't have any). Also added two more tablespoons of curry sauce and 1/2 cup coconut milk. (to use the whole can) Wasn't very spicy but my son (who is 7) LOVED IT! SCORE!! Took 30 minutes or so total to have a super yummy dinner on the table!! Will make again soon!! Love the fact that it uses things I have on hand at all times! I see this being a new family favorite!! Thanks!
A great recipe that is quick n easy to put together but oh so flavoursome! I used chicken breast fillet aand added a few green beans. Yum...a keeper!!
Very, very tasty recipe! I used chicken breast fillets for the meat and Red Curry Paste (Gaeng Pet) for the red curry paste. Although I followed your directions for the cooking process I did change a couple of things. We love our curries and we like them hot, so I used 3 tablespoons of curry paste. I also left out the zucchini as we didn't have any, used lime juice rather than lemon for the same reason. And at the end I garnished with sliced birds eye chillies and coriander/cilantro. Didn't feel that the curry needed thickening so didn't use the cornstarch. We loved the flavours of this red curry and it really takes very little time to make, a very big hit with us. Thanks for the recipe!!