1/2 Photos of The Chickens Husband in Red Wine. 'coq-Au-Vin'
1 hr 40 mins
Brian Holley's Note:
This is a vastly popular French classic. The recipe was given to me by Madam Brame. She insisted that the dish must be made with a coq, as she said 'it is the husband of the chicken'. Although you can use a hen the flavour will not be quite as good. We also know this dish as 'Sex in a transit' Easy to prepare and quick cooking makes this a winner. This is the up market version. That I have been cooking for about thirty years. It beats all the restaurant versions hands down.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 lbs roasting chickens, jointed into 4 pieces
- 3 ounces butter
- 12 shallots, peeled
- 6 ounces smoked bacon (in 1 piece)
- 1/2 glass brandy
- 26 fluid ounces red wine (full bodied)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 bouquet garni (stock cube version will do)
- salt & pepper (to season)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 ounces button mushrooms
- 1 ounce plain flour
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1Melt the butter in a large heavy pot and fry the chicken pieces till golden brown. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- 2Cube the bacon into 1/2" squares.
- 3Fry the bacon and shallots together, till coloured.
- 4Replace the chicken in the pot with the shallots and bacon. Turn up the heat and pour over the brandy, tip the pot to the flames and ignite the brandy, allow the flames to die down and add half the bottle of wine and the stock. Crumble in the stock cube. Add the bouquet garnis. bring to the boil for 2 minutes Reduce the heat to low.
- 5Cover the pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 6Add the garlic and mushrooms, season with the salt and pepper. Simmer 15 minutes.
- 7Adjust the seasoning to taste. Add 1 glass of wine ( you can now drink the remainder).
- 8Mix the butter and flour together to form a paste. Drop small pieces of the paste into the pot, stir well to blend all together, add more butter paste till the sauce thickens slightly.
- 9Serve the dish garnished with the parsley and.
- 10croûtons of fried bread, boiled or mashed potatoes and green beans.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Chickens Husband in Red Wine. 'coq-Au-Vin'
Serving Size: 1 (761 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1311.4
- Calories from Fat 747
- Total Fat 83.0 g
- Saturated Fat 32.4 g
- Cholesterol 297.7 mg
- Sodium 1807.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 67.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: