Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Cool summer Salad with fresh vine ripened tomatos and sweet red onion. Simple, quick and delicious. Very nice garnished with fresh basil strips.
- 4 -5 large lettuce leaves
- 2 -3 large tomatoes, vine ripened
- 1 medium red onion
- 3 -4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Line a platter with lettuce leaves.
- Cut tomatoes and onion into 1/4 inch slices.
- Line the lettuce leaves alternately with the tomato and onion slices. Drizzle olive oil and vinegar over. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Saw this today, on "photo of the day" and "recipe of the day" and had to make it right away for "Saturday Lunch at the Farm". I had everything on hand from the farm, so this was easy, and a joy to behold. I wish I could eat this everyday, it just brings a smile to your day, and extra skip to your step. The layering was perfect, the dressing of the vegetables, spot on. Thank you for bringing such a joy to our day! Made for Derf, August 2009. Just because.
Excellent salad, Derf! I followed everything as written except I used Jane's Crazy Salt in place of the salt/pepper. I used perfect vine-ripened tomatoes and I agree with CG...that makes the dish! Thanks so much for posting!
Just excellent and definitely a repeater! This weekend for example. I made one serving portion and had to use cherry tomatoes b/c some bird pecked a big ole hole in the one Big Boy tomato that was finally ripe. I also chopped up the onion b/c of using the smaller tomatoes. No sea salt on hand and subbed kosher salt and used fresh ground Tellicherry pepper... YUMMY! Just too good! I imagine that the quality of the tomatoes will make a huge difference with this salad. Thanks, Derf!