1/1 Photo of Tunisian Yam and Red Bean Stew (Slow Cooker Version)
8 hrs 15 mins
A former roommate of mine gave me the basic recipe for this spicy aromatic stew. It's great comfort food in cold weather, and fantastic fiery food for hot weather--it all depends on what you serve with it! I love it over steamed couscous or pieces of spongy bread, myself. Don't be put off by the long ingredient list...you are in for 10-15 minutes of chopping and that's it! Assemble this in your crock the night before and you'll have dinner done before you know it the next day!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup small dried red beans (or 1 can small red beans)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large red bell peppers, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 lbs yams, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cups vegetable stock or 3 cups water
- 2 large tomatoes, diced or 1 (14 ounce) can diced low-sodium tomatoes
- 1 -3 jalapeno pepper, minced (adjust this to your preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1The night before you plan to make this stew, soak beans in water to cover. (Skip this step if using canned beans).
- 2To assemble the stew in your crock pot, combine onion, bell peppers, garlic, ginger, yams, stock, tomatoes, jalapenos, salt, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and black pepper. Stir till well combined. Add the beans after they've soaked overnight. Give it a good stir before you set it cooking.
- 3Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, till the yams and beans are tender.
- 4Before serving, ladle a little of the juices into a bowl; mix in peanut butter and stir till well combined. Return peanut butter mixture to crock and stir till well combined.
- 5Top each serving with 1/2 T. dry roasted peanuts and a squeeze of lime juice.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tunisian Yam and Red Bean Stew (Slow Cooker Version)
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 259.4
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 255.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 7.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: